Nimbus Quilt Bee quilt

I'm on a mission to finish off all my WIPs this month.  I've finished the quilting and binding of my Community Sampler, I have two quilt labels in progress and I am steadily hand quilting my Interwoven quilt each evening.  

Next up on my list was to assemble the gorgeous blocks that the lovely ladies of the Nimbus Quilt Bee made for me at the end of last year.  This is my first time participating in a quilt bee, and I have loved it.  Each month we make two blocks for the queen bee and when your turn comes around, it is like your birthday!  My postman must have wondered what was going on as he rang on the door each day to deliver my packages full of blocks plus so many special 'little' extras.  I really was utterly spoilt with pouches, charms, mug rugs, needle books... such generosity and kindness.

I chose a very simple Economy block design, following the tutorial written by Tasha Noel on Instagram in November 2015 (#tashaseconomyblocktutorial).  The finished blocks are approximately 10 1/4" square.  The ladies in the bee very kindly made me four blocks each - I think because these sweet blocks are such quick, fun finishes, plus very addictive!

I chose to go out of my comfort zone of blues and pinks and requested blocks to be in a mixture of colours for a fun scrappy look.  I made a few blocks myself at the start too and thoroughly enjoyed going through my stash looking for sweet fussy cuts and complimentary fabrics.  


I was so touched that so many of the blocks sent to me have gorgeous, long-hoarded fussy cuts in the centre - so many beauties including fabrics by Sarah Jane, Heather Ross, Tasha Noel, Dear Stella, Aneela Hoey and Minki Kim.  







Once they were all trimmed to size, this was a quick quilt to assemble and I am so thrilled with the finished quilt top.  Now I just have to choose backing fabric and decide how to quilt it... watch this space! 





Thank you so much Tori for organising this Bee and inviting me to join.  Many thanks also to Gwawr, Gwenan, Karen, Kate, Maja, Maria, Marie, Mary, Nim and Rachel for making me such beautiful blocks and extras (gutted that Maria's blocks and stunning Liberty pouch were lost in the post, never to be seen again).  You have also all challenged me to try new things - curves, daring colour combinations and even lizards...!

Comments

Popular Posts