Dollhouse fabrics baby quilt

As soon as friends of ours told us that they were expecting a baby girl I started thinking about baby quilts!  I don't get many opportunities to sew for girls, so I was so excited to plan this quilt.  My husband was sent off to a Christmas night out (I was home unwell) with strict instructions to find out the colour scheme of the nursery so that I could get started.  He came home with the brief pink and grey and I immediately knew what fabrics to use. 


I have been saving my Dollhouse fabrics (by Amy Sinibaldi for Art Gallery Fabrics) for ages, always waiting for the perfect project.  I can't think of a prettier fabric line that includes pink and grey so I decided that this was the time to start cutting into my bundle.  Although there are some small pretty florals in this range, there are also prints with larger designs such as the rows of flowers and flying butterflies.  I therefore decided to use a simple nine-patch design - perfect for a quick finish and to showcase the fabric nicely.  If you haven't come across Kelly-Ann @mystitchingjournal on Instagram, do take a look at her beautiful page - she has made several nine-patch quilts recently (including a Dollhouse fabric version) that were my inspiration.  

I usually make fairly small baby quilts which work well as a playmat or quilt for a pram or moses basket.  This time I decided to go larger - this fabric is so pretty (and not baby themed) that I hope that the quilt will be used for years, so I didn't want to make it too small.  My blocks finished at 9" square and I chose to use a 4x5 blocks layout.  


I was lucky enough to find some Dollhouse fabrics on sale on the M is for Make website so I chose the elegant Meadow Field in grey for the backing and Waltz Sunlit for the binding.  I am so pleased that I was able to use Art Gallery fabrics for both the front and back of the quilt - it feels so gentle and soft, which seems fitting for a baby. 

I chose to do simple straight line quilting, following the edges of the patchwork, using Aurifil 50wt thread (colour 2021).  As usual, I attached the binding to the front of the quilt by machine and then hand stitched it to the reverse of the quilt.  



The finishing touch was a little bit of embroidery using Aurifil 12wt thread. 



I am thrilled with the final quilt and so glad that I have finally turned this hoarded bundle of fabric into such a lovely quilt that I hope will be used and loved for many years to come.  






Thanks for visiting my blog.  Next up will be my finished Fancy Forest quilt - just waiting for a sunny day to take some photos...









Comments

Popular Posts