The Kittens baby quilt





Hi, it has been a while since I had a chance to sit at the computer and write a blog post.  Having said that, I haven't had much of a chance to finish many sewing projects!  Now that school has started again, I have a long list of quilts to finish and projects to work on.

I did manage to complete this sweet baby quilt though - a fun small project that I was able to  work on between summer playdates and days out.  The pattern is The Kittens by Elizabeth Hartman which is easy to follow and quick to make (and much like making Fancy Foxes!).

This was another commission.  Again, the brief was for a gender-neutral baby quilt that is to be a gift for a glasses-wearing, cat-loving mum-to-be.  I think we hit on the right pattern!  

I had fun going through my stash and finding soft greens, yellows and greys and then choosing which of the kitten designs I wanted to use.  Included in this pattern are five different face designs so there is plenty of scope to make this using scraps of your favourite fabrics. 



There are also two glasses designs to choose from.  These remind me of the style my grandmother used to wear. 


As usual, I pieced my blocks using 50wt Aurifil thread and quilted it using a creamy white which blended nicely into the grey linen, coloured faces and the backing fabric.    


Once again, I bought my backing fabric from Olive and Flo Handcraft.  Saira has a great selection of backing fabrics (well, all fabrics really!) at fabulous prices.  I chose the blue tyre swing print from Amy Sinibaldi's Playground collection.



Next on my list of quilting jobs is to pluck up the courage to quilt my Fancy Forest quilt.  I couldn't bear the thought of sitting underneath it to quilt it this summer, but now it is cooler it is definitely on my to do list.  After lots of deliberation, I have finally found fabric that I think will work for the backing and that hasn't cost the earth - I've bought a flat bed sheet.  


Comments

Popular Posts