Community Sampler Week 5

We are now onto week 5 of the Community Sampler sew along.  If you haven't already joined in, make sure you visit Sharon Holland's blog for the weekly patterns and expert tutorials.  Maureen Cracknell is co-hosting this sew along, so pop to her blog to see her version of each block too and to pick up handy tips about block construction too. 

This week is the fourth block, Cactus - which is made into two half blocks so that it can take two spaces in the final quilt plan.  The instructions call for four fabrics, with contrast between the fabrics being really important to show off the striking design.  

These are the fabrics I chose. 



Isn't it wonderful to have a bit of sunshine for a change?  I'm hoping Spring is here to stay, fingers crossed!


I was a bit wary about this block; both Sharon and Maureen posted beautiful pictures of their finished blocks with warnings about taking it slow and being accurate.  Eek! A perfect 1/4" seam is something I still struggle with (my small blocks in particular often end up a bit small).

In fact my block came together really easily - Sharon's instructions and supporting blog post are so clear that you really can't go wrong.  Once again, pressing to the dark side for this block is helpful so that you can nestle your seams together when you assemble each unit - resulting in pointy perfection. 



I'm  wondering if I should have used a low volume print for the central four white star points to make them stand out more.  I doubt I'll be remaking this one, but I need to push myself out of my 'solid background comfort zone' for future blocks. 

These are my blocks so far, aren't the colours lovely?  



In other news, I just have 8 blocks left to hand quilt on my Sewcial Bee Sampler quilt - photos to follow soon. 


Comments

Popular Posts